STEEL Structural Design and Optimization Software
Use S-STEEL to code check and auto design steel members for both strength and serviceability to ensure structural safety and economy.
Optimize steel members based on an extensive list of optimization criteria, design codes, and constraints so that you can satisfy your design and performance assessment needs.
Comprehensive engineering reports in graphical and tabular format include design results, interactive formulas, equations, and graphics.
S-STEEL 2021.1 Now Available
The S-STEEL Design Interface
S-STEEL Design is an add-on module to S-FRAME Analysis. S-STEEL supports staged construction, composite beam design, linear and nonlinear static, response spectrum, linear and nonlinear time history (including base and multi-support base motion), linear and non-linear moving-load analyses. Access all S-FRAME Analysis features, including the powerful model management system (folder technology, selection options, shortcut tools, S-VIEW’s model validation, and more) within a single work environment.
Quickly locate and assess critical areas requiring re-design. Select specific members using multiple filtering options.
Override section sizes for all members or a subset of members and immediately see if they pass or fail the code checks, why, and by how much.
Structural Steel Design Options
Multiple settings and options exist to meet preferences and or requirements in your design workflow, from displaying the design results, to the level of detail, or format of Code Details.
Users can instruct S-STEEL what to do when changes were made to analyzed section, before returning to S-FRAME Analysis.
Steel Design Reports
Generate company-branded, customized reports in graphical or tabular format.
Comprehensive steel design results include equations and clause references for members that pass or fail with users having the options to show as much information as possible, or only the results that are relevant to the problem in hand.
Steel Design Codes
- ASCE 10-15
- AISC 360-16 LRFD/ASD
- AISC 360-10 LRFD/ASD
- AISC 360-05 LRFD/ASD
- EN 1993-1:2005
- EN 1993-1:2005/ UK Annex
- BS 5950:2000
- EN 1993-1:2005/ Singapore Annex
- Hong Kong Steel 2005 & 2011
- AS 4100-1998
- NZS 3404:1997
The Steel Design Examples for Structural Engineers
All thirty-three design examples include S-FRAME/S-STEEL example (.TEL) files that help illustrate the CSA S16-14 steel design code.
Included in this document are examples for
- Axial Loaded Steel Members
- Designing Steel Members for Flexure
- Shear Design of Steel Members
- Designing Members for Torsion
Composite Beam Support for
- Longitudinal and perpendicular deck rib orientations
- Girders with dual spanning decks
- Computing optimal Segmental Stud Spacing on girders with intermediate concentrated loads.
- Computing the optimal rib orientation and effective widths
- Sloped Floors and beams do not have to be orthogonally arranged in the effective width calculations
- Automatic camber calculations including support for percentage of dead load reduction
- Partial or full composite sections
- Positive and negative bending moments
- Shored and un-shored construction
- Strength and Serviceability checks
- Accounts for shrinkage and creep
- Available for both automated Design and Code Check input window
- Multiple concrete strengths and densities can be specified
- CISC S16-14,09 and AISC 360-16,10 LRFD/ASD codes
Use Scratch Pad, a simple and intuitive spreadsheet Interface to
- Explore alternative design options for a single member
- Override S-STEEL’s restrictions on specific design paraments
- Interrogate the S-STEEL code check and design results
Scratch Pad can be deployed as a standalone application running as S-PAD.
How to Buy S-STEEL
S-STEEL can be purchased as an add-on design module for S-FRAME Analysis; users must already own a license for S-FRAME Analysis (any edition).
- S-FRAME Analysis installation
- Windows 10 (64-bit version) operating system
- Min 2 GB RAM, Recommended 4 GB or more
- Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card – Must support hardware vertex processing
S-STEEL Product Support
S-FRAME Analysis is a tried and trusted structural analysis and design solution, developed and supported for over 30 years. Clients who purchase S-FRAME Analysis licenses are entitled to annual support and maintenance benefits.
- Email and telephone client support backed by the industry’s most dedicated and responsive engineering team
- Access to all new releases
- Free and discounted training
- Flexible licensing adaptive for all office installation configurations from standalone installation, local area network to Global
- Wide Area Licencing
Recent Enhancements in S-STEEL R2021.1
- New Advanced Composite Beam Design Capabilities
- Both longitudinal and perpendicular deck rib orientations are supported.
- Physical and Analytical Members (or a mix thereof) are supported
- Automatic calculation of optimal stud length
- Girders with dual spanning decks, including strength, serviceability, stud size and stud spacing requirements
- S-STEEL calculates the optimal Segmental Stud Spacing on girders with intermediate concentrated loads and graphically displaying the stud distribution between concentrated loads.
- S-STEEL calculates the optimal rib orientation and effective widths based on perimeter beam spacing and lengths as per code requirements for both interior and exterior beams with optional accounting for overhangs on exterior spans and floor openings.
- Sloped Floors and beams do not have to be orthogonally arranged in the effective width calculations – nor is it necessary to conform to a rigid member connectivity system
- S-STEEL computes the lateral torsional buckling unsupported top and bottom lengths for both composite and non-composite stages based on intermediate framing members and composite and non-composite properties.
- Round-tripping to S-FRAME Analysis for both composite and non-composite stages. Section properties based on effective widths are automatically updated for the composite stage while optimal steel sections are maintained for both stages.
- Support for user specified minimum % shear connection and maximum % shear connection with the option to modify minimum % shear requirements based on member length (as per code requirement)
- Support for flange thickness checks based on stud diameter welding requirements.
- Automatic camber calculations including support for % dead load reduction, serviceability checks based on NET cambered deflections, ability to optionally exclude camber for cantilever beams or beams where depth or length are controlling factors.
- Automatic determination of effective widths, camber, rib orientation, uniform or optimal stud spacing, can optionally be modified by the user on a member by member basis.
- All composite data can be either imported from or exported to an MDB file.
- Composite group data can be defined and automated design based on both strength and serviceability requirements can be performed for each group based on the above mentioned optimization options for each group.